Review: Jane Steele (English)

jane

25868918Reader, I murdered him.

A Gothic retelling of Jane Eyre.

Like the heroine of the novel she adores, Jane Steele suffers cruelly at the hands of her aunt and schoolmaster. And like Jane Eyre, they call her wicked – but in her case, she fears the accusation is true. When she flees, she leaves behind the corpses of her tormentors.

A fugitive navigating London’s underbelly, Jane rights wrongs on behalf of the have-nots whilst avoiding the noose. Until an advertisement catches her eye. Her aunt has died and the new master at Highgate House, Mr Thornfield, seeks a governess. Anxious to know if she is Highgate’s true heir, Jane takes the position and is soon caught up in the household’s strange spell. When she falls in love with the mysterious Charles Thornfield, she faces a terrible dilemma: can she possess him – body, soul and secrets – and what if he discovers her murderous past?

Goodreads link.

Amazon link.

Pages: 432

Expected publication: March 22nd 2016

4 estrellas

I have not read Jane Eyre but I enjoyed this and I hope I can read it soon.

The Writing:
I loved the writing. This is kind of autobiography. The writer, Jane Steele, is talking to you and I loved that. I don’t usually read this and I loved it. I also loved that at the beginning of each chapter there are phrases from Jane Eyre that had some connection to what you were going to read.

The Story:
I had two phases with this story. The first 35% which was okay and the other 65% which I really liked.
I enjoyed this story and was surprised for the many deaths in here. Didn’t expect that much but this is a gothic retelling so it makes sense.
In this story, Jane the main protagonist faces many obstacles. We can devide the story in three parts, the first one in school, the second one in London and the third one in Highgate House.
One of my favourite things about this story was the mix of cultures. We have the English, French and Indian, specially with Sikh religion. This was very interesting to read and how they mixed in the story and in the characters too.
The romance was so good. This is a classical romance, where you suffer many many pages to get that kiss you have been wanting to read from the beginning but you enjoy the wait, you really really like it. That is what I lived and what I enjoyed about it.
Other of the things I really liked was that all situations displayed along the book, all of them had a kind of end. There is nothing without answer and that’s very good for me.

The characters:
•Jane: Such a complex character. She has a difficult past and she believes that she deserves nothing. But you keep thinking, is that true? Does she deserves nothing or what she did is not that bad? Morality here is in continue test and that makes this character so important.
•Charles: I really liked him. I can’t say I love him but I really like him. He was so good and nice. He believed he deserved things he didn’t and when an important time came, he was there for everyone. He didn’t judge and that was great.
•Singh: Other character I really liked. He was such a good friend so loyal and good. The kind of person you say ‘I wish he was my friend’
•Clarke: She was okay. I suspected some things. At the end she disappointed me.

I really liked this book. An historical fiction with romance, suspense and action.

Quotes:

“Until something has been taken from you, it is difficult to gauge what sort of holes will be left by its absence.”

“It was a lesson that everyone-even myself,I dared to hope-would be mourned by one fellow traveller.”

“Flattery, I have found, is a great treat for those born innately selfish”

About the author:

Goodreads page.

Anuncios

One thought on “Review: Jane Steele (English)

Responder

Introduce tus datos o haz clic en un icono para iniciar sesión:

Logo de WordPress.com

Estás comentando usando tu cuenta de WordPress.com. Cerrar sesión / Cambiar )

Imagen de Twitter

Estás comentando usando tu cuenta de Twitter. Cerrar sesión / Cambiar )

Foto de Facebook

Estás comentando usando tu cuenta de Facebook. Cerrar sesión / Cambiar )

Google+ photo

Estás comentando usando tu cuenta de Google+. Cerrar sesión / Cambiar )

Conectando a %s